Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Curd and White Chocolate Butter Cream

What a better place to start then my birthday? Ok, so maybe it was a whole week ago but I have to say blogging has been intimidating-and of course I always find other things that "need to be done". You know, like organize all of my clothes by color. (Even though they're all black.)
As a little girl, dark chocolate and raspberry has always been my choice of birthday cake-and I believe that it will forever have my heart each January that comes around. This year I decided I wanted to make my own birthday cake. Why you ask? Well, I know what I want! And of course, anyone such as me will take any excuse to bake something. 

Layer cake. My first ever-it never seemed daunting to me-just exciting and I had no idea where to start. So of course, I decided on six layers-three rich dark chocolate cakes, sliced in half, a raspberry curd in the center, and a white chocolate butter cream to wrap with. WHOA. 

 

Since I began making the cake after school and had a sushi date by 7, I decided to stick with a simple two layer-I tend to get ahead of myself quickly. I had made the white chocolate butter cream the night before-we have a fantastic food co-op here that has the most velvety blocks of satin white chocolate. 

The curd was strained. The butter cream was ever so fluffy and smooth. The cakes were cooled and sliced. It was time. After I had stacked and filled the center, I was about to frost the first "crumb seal" layer when I thought, "You know what? This is my last birthday cake as a teen and dammit I just want it to be pink." So there you have it. Pink, Chocolate layer cake with raspberry curd and a white chocolate butter cream. 

Hooray for 20 and the next decade until I reach my mid life crisis! (Is it possible to have a quarter life crisis?)
  




No comments:

Post a Comment