Thursday, February 9, 2012

And so it Begins!

Here goes my first post, on my first blog ever! (A little late on the band wagon, I know.) I’ll start out with my name, Danae Rose. I’m nineteen and I’ve been baking most of life along side my mother and her mother, and throughout the past three years I’ve been working at small little bakeries and cafes.
I began volunteering for a non profit coffee shop in Seattle, where I am from. Here I was trained to bake muffins, bars, cookies, scones, and quiches. Eventually I moved to another neighborhood where I became a pie baker. This was where I fell in love with baking, and began to recognize it as an art form. Every morning at 5am I would bike to work, and there was nothing more therapeutic than putting on some relaxing tunes and baking pies. Making the dough, rolling the fruits in sugar, crimping the edges, brushing the tops and the smell that would flood the entire shop was simply heaven.
Eventually I moved once again and became a baker at a little vegan cafe. This stretched what I knew as baking, and forced me to expand my creativity to develop something just as delicious with limited ingredients. This was a wonderful experience that opened my eyes to new ways of thinking about desserts.
I left for college this past August, and am currently up in a little place called Bellingham in Washington state. I landed a job at a little place called Mount Bakery (we are right next to Mount Baker-adorable, I know). For now I am helping with small baking projects, but I desperately need more in my life. Which is where this project comes in-I am fortunate enough to attend a school where I can earn credit for any kind of learning project my little heart desires. Here I will be researching the technicality and science of baking-and focusing on perfecting what I have always wanted to tackle but have shied away from due to intimidation. 
I want to make a perfect little macaroon (this one will obviously take many tries!), find the best buttercream, make a pastry cream, mousse, lemon curd, layered cakes, tarts, cheese cakes, galettes, and anything that I come across and feel afraid of. I’ll be photo-ing, writing, and pasting recipes along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment