Thursday, February 9, 2012

Classic Chocolate Mousse



 I wanted to start out with the basics before jumping ahead, and where else better than a classic chocolate mousse? Besides, all I knew about mousse was that it tasted like a fluffier, richer pudding. Yes-that would have been my best description if you had asked me what mousse was before last night. 

I was thrilled when I realized there were three main components-dividing up a process during baking helps me to mentally organize and keep track of different stages. A ganache, meringue, and whipped cream. Ha! Simple enough. 


Once it was finished, I must say I was fairly pleased with myself. It's always encouraging to get something close to perfect on your first shot. Which also means I will probably fail miserably with something else soon. Yes, it was fluffy, creamy, smooth, but still, in the end, it was just mousse. I wasn't fully satisfied. 

Throughout time my house has collected adorable mason jars of such sorts, and I instantly thought back to a Cupcake Wars episode about a bakery that makes a "cupcake in a jar". So, I whipped up a batch of my go to chocolate cupcakes I used to make daily at the vegan cafe. Even though they are vegan-they are the most moist, rich, perfectly rising cupcakes I have ever made, which is why they will always be what I go to. Well, that and I have the recipe memorized. 

After they cooled I sliced those decadent little suckers up and layered them between the light mousse. Voila! Now if only I had the lids to these jars..they would make a damn adorable little gift.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (with an extra splash)

Directions:
Melt butter and chocolate together in a double boiler or sauce pot with a bowl parked on top. Remove from stove. Whisk egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and place in the refrigerator. In a large bowl and with a large whisk (or with a hand mixer), beat egg whites for a minute or two. Add half the sugar to the egg whites and continue to beat until they form stiff peaks, another 3 minutes or so. Set aside. In another large bowl and with a large whisk (or hand mixer if you have one), beat cream for about a minute. Then add the remaining sugar and vanilla until it holds soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Be very careful not to over-beat the cream. If it has a cottage cheesy texture, you have gone too far. Take the chocolate mixture out of the refrigerator and stir in a couple of spoonfuls of the whites. Then fold in remaining whites thoroughly but gently. Fold in cream in the same manner. Stick mixture back into the fridge until chilled. Add some fruit or chocolate shavings and savor every decadent bite.

If you want to do what I did with the layered cakes in a jar, just make your favorite cupcake recipe, let them cool, slice them in half or thirds and layer your little heart away. If you have left over heavy whipping cream from your mousse (you should) I suggest making a whip cream for the top-homemade is ALWAYS best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment